To all to whom these presents may come:
Praise be to God the Merciful, the Compassionate, Lord of the Two Worlds, and peace be upon His Prophets.
It is my purpose here to document my travels and adventures as a member of the Brotherhood Without Borders, for the benefit of mankind and the purpose of bringing aid, comfort, and illumination to all who are in darkness.
It has been a long time since my last correspondence and a great many adventures have been had:
- A green dragon has been driven from his occupation of Thundertree.
- A Transylvanian mercenary named Yevgeny has joined the group, under contract.
- The Castle of Cragmaw has been cleared of hobgoblins.
- Wave Echo Cave was explored, during which several incidents took place
- A spectator charged with guarding the Forge of Spells was convinced to return to his place of origin.
- A Christian saint by the name of Nicholas appeared out of nowhere to bestow gifts upon us.
- The Black Spider, the “svartzalfar” behind the kidnapping of Gundren Rockseeker and his bodyguard Sildar Hallwinter, was defeated utterly, liberating Wave Echo Cave from its occupiers.
- One of his minions, a shapechanger that has been dubbed “Frank”, warned us of Albrecht’s attempt to conceal his treachery behind a trail of misinformation and slander against our party. Frank’s honesty (thanks to Balthazar’s zone of truth) indicates he may be of continued value to us as an informant.
- Frank also expressed concern that the tuaregs we met in Thundertree may not be who they claim to be, and are not of this world.
Upon return to al-Fandalin, we encountered one of the Brotherhood Council of Six, inquiring as to our “errant” behavior. When we discovered the information was provided by Albrecht himself, we quickly submitted to magical interrogation (provided by Balthazar) to prove Albrecht had lied. We were given the charge to continue pursuing him in hopes of discovering what else he was using the Brotherhood’s good name for, and to expose him at last. The councilman’s favored troubadour/assistant was appointed to accompany us, to provide some needed diplomatic expertise. This is where our story pauses.
Recorded herewith on Sha’ban 24, 576 AH (January 13, 1181).
- Azhaz ibn Khalil al-Nejem